Content Marketing Mistakes



We have recently written about content marketing and a few mistakes that are commonly made through the process. In this blog post, we are going to go through common content marketing mistakes in more detail. We are also going to touch upon different ways to avoid them. 

Most Common Content Marketing Mistakes

The most common mistakes are ones that are very easy to avoid. We are going to group that category first before we move on. Most of these mistakes have to do with not taking enough time to plan. You must take the time to know and understand your audience, knowing your goal, and creating content with intent. 

These things can be avoided through taking your time in the planning and preparation process. Planning is the most important step in creating content and marketing for your brand. That is why these mistakes are considered the most common as well as the easiest to avoid, because it all has to do with the process. 

Next, we are going to move on to the less common mistakes that you may not expect when going into the content marketing process. 

Not Creating Reusable Content

This is something that many marketers don’t realize when creating content. You never want to go into it with the one-and-done mindset. Creating a great quality piece of content requires a lot of time, and the return on that investment is maximized when you are able to repurpose the content for different channels later down the road. 

Many marketers are often convinced that they are expected to create tons of original content all the time. Although original content is great, it is also important to be able to reuse content on multiple different channels. Of course, you always want to be able to quickly create great one-and-done content. But, every once in a while you need that amazing, quality piece that you can touch up and reuse in different ways. You can turn a well-perceived blog post into a video or an infographic. 

Not Promoting Enough Content

Once you create your quality content, it is time to post. You want as many people to see it as possible, so of course, simply posting it is not going to be enough. You need to spend time promoting this content on other platforms. It is necessary to spend the time promoting your content, being that it is just as important as creating content. A common rule is the 80/20 rule. This rule states that you should spend 20% of your time creating content. The other 80% goes to promoting your content on social media platforms.

Reviewing Marketing Performance

This is a huge mistake that so many marketing teams make every once in a while. Without taking time to look at the performance data of your content, there is no way to know if what you are doing is working. If a piece of your content is working, then you can repurpose it and continue to use it on different platforms. If a piece of content isn’t working, then you know that you can’t repurpose it. You don’t need to waste your time continuing to promote it as much as your other content.


Content marketing is extremely effective if you take your time and focus on your plan. There are a few mistakes that are easy to make along the way, some being more detrimental than others. But knowing the mistakes that are possible and learning how to avoid them is the first step at ensuring that your content marketing works the way you want it to.

We hope to have helped you learn and understand the mistakes that are possible to make and how you can avoid them. If you have any questions, you can contact us here.

Thank you for reading!